Maybe you or someone you know has recently gone gluten-free. Here are seven foods you can rely on to replace gluten (always read the labels).
- 1. Rice – use rice flour instead of wheat flour in some recipes. Rice pasta is also available.
- 2. Buckwheat – use the flour, use flakes for muesli or porridge, use the whole grain and treat like rice or couscous. Buckwheat pasta is also available.
- 3. Quinoa – use like couscous, use the flakes for cereals and porridge, use the flour for baking or coating.
- 4. Teff – a really nutritious grain that makes rich, dark bread.
- 5. Nuts – nuts can be used in baking (ground), granolas and muesli.
- 6. Corn – coarsely ground corn is used to make polenta, finer flours can be used in baking, corn pasta also available.
- 7. Legumes – chickpeas, lentils and kidney beans make a great addition to soups and stews. There are a number of pastas made from legumes now, like chickpea pasta.